I had a hankering for some lasagna tonight but wanted a simple recipe. I looked at several recipes and didn't seem to have all the ingredients, so I threw this recipe together with what I had. Give it a try and if you make any adjustments (translated as improvements) please let me know and I'll add them as variations to the recipe.
Simple Spinach Lasagna
16 oz. Lasagna Noodles (I used spelt noodles from Lassens)
1 pkg. silken tofu - extra firm
14 oz. Gimme Lean - Sausage Style
16 oz. frozen spinach
40 oz. spaghetti or marinara sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
juice from one lemon
1/2 cup (approx.) breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Remove spinach from freezer so it can begin to defrost.
3. Cook lasagna noodles per instructions on the package.
4. Press tofu (see note below on pressing)
5. Brown Gimme Lean in skillet - about 5-6 minutes and then set aside.
6. Crumble tofu into large mixing bowl with your hands.
7. Add salt, nutritional yeast, oregano, basil and lemon juice to tofu and mix well.
8. In a separate bowl mix 12-14 oz of spaghetti sauce and mix with browned sausage.
9. In a large baking dish (I used a deep 9x13, rectangle) spoon in a layer of sauce to cover the bottom.
10. Put a layer of noodles, then a layer of meat (1/2 of the meat), layer of tofu mixture (1/2 of mixture) and half the spinach.
11. Repeat step #10.
12. Put final layer of noodles on top and cover with remaining spaghetti sauce.
13. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on the top.
14. Cook in oven for 40 minutes.
Pressing removes most of the moisture. Open the tofu and put a double layer paper towel on a plate. Set the tofu on top of the paper towel and then put another double layer of paper towel and set a heavy book on it. Let sit for about 5 min. Replace both sets of paper towels, flip the tofu and repeat.
About the Author
Hello, my name is Todd Coston. This site is a dedicated to my journey on a plant based diet. I'm passionate about the benefits of this diet and share my thoughts, resources and recipes through this site. I would love to hear from you, so drop me a line at email@example.com.
Other Plant Based Blogs/Sites:
Happy Healthy Long Life
Healthy Girl's Kitchen
Rocky Road Run