My grandma was a great cook! She had a natural ability to just put different things together and it tasted wonderful! One of my favorites was her banana bread. Unfortunately, she is gone now so there is no way to get the recipe BUT this recipe certainly fills the bill and it is oil free! The recipe is slightly adapted from a recipe in the Happy Herbivore book. If you don't have this book....get it, it has lots of easy, wonderful recipes!
Makes 1 loaf.
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
4-5 spotted or browning bananas
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup raw sugar
1 tsp. ground cinammon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 cups of flour (I like to use 1 cup oat flour, 1 cup spelt flour, you can also use 2 cups whole wheat flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You will also need an 8" non-stick loaf pan.
2. Whisk the non-dairy milk and lemon juice together until bubbly and set aside.
3. Combine bananas and sugars in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
4. In a large bowl, whisk spices, flour, baking soda and baking powder together.
5. Add milk-lemon juice and banana mixture, as well as remaining ingredients, to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
6. Pour into loaf pan using a spatula to evenly distribute and smooth top.
7. Make a tent over the pan with a large piece of aluminum foil.
8. Bake for 45 min. to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
About the Author
Hello, my name is Todd Coston. This site is a dedicated to my journey on a plant based diet. I'm passionate about the benefits of this diet and share my thoughts, resources and recipes through this site. I would love to hear from you, so drop me a line at email@example.com.
Other Plant Based Blogs/Sites:
Happy Healthy Long Life
Healthy Girl's Kitchen
Rocky Road Run